Mulch is an affordable option for do-it-yourself landscapers who want to achieve a natural feel in their gardens and yards. It’s also easy to apply and looks neat and attractive. A popular pick for many, is wood chip mulch. This type of mulch comes in several colors to match any aesthetic and is slow to decay.
Benefits of using mulch:
- Mulch is effective weed control.
- Mulch makes pulling weeds much easier.
- Mulch regulates soil temperature making it much easier on plants during spring and fall months.
- Mulch increases rain absorption by decreasing rain run off and therefore protects your plants from drying out quickly.
- Mulch provides visual esthetics to your landscaping and allows the plants and shrubs to be the star of the show.
Tips on applying mulch
- Mulch performs best when it is applied so it is 2”-3” in depth. If your soil contains a lot of clay you may be able to reduce the mulch depth to 1”-2” but if your garden or soil contains a lot of sand you will want to apply more mulch such as 4” to give the best opportunity to maintain the moisture for your plants. If you have any questions on what is best for your garden, please bring in a soil sample and measurements of the space your need to apply mulch to and we will advise you on what is best for your specific garden or yard.
- Mulch works the best when your mulch bed extends beyond the plant’s drip line or where the rain would drip from the leaves.
- Once you distribute the mulch water it down. This will anchor your mulch into place.